Spaces for women in science are either rare or limited. Because of this, Zonta International has opened up a fellowship program that caters to women involved in aerospace engineering across the globe. Check out the details below.
The Amelia Earhart Fellowship annually awards $10,000 to 35 talented women in PhD Aerospace Engineering and other related fields.
Done through the women’s rights organization Zonta International, the fellowship can be taken at any university or college around the world as long as they are offering the accredited degrees.
Application deadline: November 15, 2021
Benefits of the Amelia Earhart Fellowship
The Amelia Earhart Fellowship is made possible by generous contributions to the Zonta Foundation for Women Amelia Earhart Fellowship Fund. Fellowship funds of US$10,000 is awarded annually.
In turn, the fellowship award has enabled women to invest in state-of-the-art computers to conduct their research, purchase expensive books and resource materials, and participate in specialized studies around the globe.
Amelia Earhart fellows have gone on to become astronauts, aerospace engineers, astronomers, professors, geologists, business owners, heads of companies— and even the Secretary of the US Air Force— with the help of the program.
Eligibility Criteria for Women
In order to qualify for the Amelia Earhart Fellowship, women in PhD Aerospace Engineering and other related fields have to meet the following criteria first:
- Women of any nationality pursuing a Ph.D./doctoral degree who demonstrate a superior academic record in the field of aerospace-applied sciences or aerospace-applied engineering are eligible.
- Students must be registered in a full-time Ph.D./doctoral program and completed at least one year of that program or have received a master’s degree in an aerospace-applied field at the time the application is submitted.
- Applicants must not graduate from their Ph.D. or doctoral program before April 2023.
- Please note that post-doctoral research programs are not eligible for the Fellowship.
- Members and employees of Zonta International or the Zonta International Foundation are also not eligible to apply for the Fellowship.
- Note that previous Amelia Earhart Fellows are not eligible to apply to renew the Fellowship for a second year.
How to Apply for the Fellowship
The Zonta International Amelia Earhart Fellowship Committee reviews the applications and recommends recipients to the Zonta International Board of Directors.
Furthermore, all details of the evaluations are kept confidential and are not disclosed to applicants. All applicants will be notified of their status by the end of April.
brought to you by Scholarships for Africans
Scholarships for Africans is a premier scholarship information blog committed to bringing more opportunities for Africans globally. They are part of the African Scholar Initiative, powered by Scholarship Hippo.