The One Young World Summit 2022 has brought opportunities closer through its Leading Africa Scholarship in Japan. Designed to ensure that outstanding young people from Africa are represented, the scheme is geared toward young leaders from marginalized African countries.
Africa has the world’s biggest population of young people, with more than 60% of the population under the age of 25. The Fourth Industrial Revolution could provide a lifeline to this youthful, eager population, with 72 percent of its labor force in “vulnerable” employment and several countries facing governance and violent extremist difficulties. They have the power to revolutionize their regions due to their vast numbers, whether in government, energy, infrastructure, medicine, or other areas.
Young leaders are proposing relevant solutions to construct a more sustainable region in the face of these challenges and possibilities.
Application deadline: December 1, 2021
Benefits of the One Young World Summit
Successful applicants under the One Young World Summit’s Leading Africa Scholarship is entitled to the following benefits:
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2022 in Tokyo, Japan.
- Hotel accommodation between 15 and 19 May 2022.
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue.
- Summit handouts and support materials.
- The cost of travel to and from Tokyo. Your flight to and from Tokyo must depart from and return to one and the same international airport.
Please note that if you are ultimately selected for a Scholarship and require a visa to enter Japan to attend the One Young World Summit 2022, you will be required to pay the visa fee yourself. The visa costs 22 GBP plus the applicable service charge of your local visa application center. The costs of the visa and the applicable service charge as well as any further costs associated with the visa application (including travel to and from the visa application center) fall on you as the participant.
Eligibility Criteria for Africans
You are eligible for sponsorship if you:
- Are between the ages of 18 – 30
- Have an evidenced commitment to delivering positive change
- Demonstrate capacity for leadership
- Are addressing key local and/or global issues in your work
- Have a track record of generating impactful and innovative ideas
How to Apply for the Scholarship in Japan
The strongest applicants will be shortlisted by the end of January. You will be contacted individually by a member of the One Young World team if you have been shortlisted.
- We cannot guarantee any applicant that they will be shortlisted or that we will secure sponsorship for any shortlisted applicant.
- Priority will be given to applicants from countries that have been less represented at previous One Young World Summits.
- Priority will also be given to first-time Summit attendees (not OYW Ambassadors).
- Due to the overwhelming amount of applications we receive, One Young World is unable to respond to individual emails enquiring about the outcome of the Leading Africa selection process.
- We do not provide feedback as to why candidates are not selected
For further information, please head over to the official One Young World Summit website.
brought to you by Scholarships for Africans
Scholarships for Africans is a premier scholarship information blog committed to bringing more opportunities for Africans globally. They are part of the African Scholar Initiative, powered by Scholarship Hippo.